Inheritance Lapses

In dealing with wills and trusts, courts have had to work though numerous unforeseen circumstances that have complicated the process of passing property from one party to another. Particularly, there are certain agreements that may be drawn up in which a beneficiary actually dies before the testator. Without a specific precedence, a case in which the will is actually made invalid can be a source of confusion for everyone involved. However, under modern probate law, there are solutions to this problem.

If you are considering how to divide your estate, knowing your options under probate law can help you develop an appropriate strategy for your future. Contact the Houston wills and trusts attorneys of Garg & Associates, P.C. at 281-362-2865 today for free legal advice.

Anti-Lapse Law

In jurisdictions that use common-law probate statutes, problems with inheritance lapses are solved through anti-lapse measures. Ultimately, there are three different outcomes that can occur from a lapse:

  • The property reverts to the residuary estate
  • The property is divided among the relatives of the beneficiary
  • Other beneficiaries are listed for that property, who then gain the property

If the will or trust is drawn up early enough, it would be possible for a testator to amend the division of his or her estate, but this process could be a costly and time-consuming reaction to something that could be solved through anti-lapse measures.

Contact Us

The future of your estate depends on the clarity and the precise execution of your testament. Turn to a legal team with experience and knowledge concerning wills and trusts to assist you as you plan for those who follow after you. Contact the Houston wills and trusts lawyers of Garg & Associates, P.C. by calling 281-362-2865 for more information today.

firm info  |  practice areas  |  articles  |  faqs  |  blog  |  contact us  |  Site Map  |  resources  |   Find us on Google+   |   Log in

Garg & Associates, PC | 21 Waterway Avenue, Suite 300 | The Woodlands, Texas 77380 Please call 281-362-2865 | Fax: 866-743-4506
Serving The Woodlands, Spring, Houston, Conroe, Kingwood, Tomball, Cypress, Huntsville, Cleveland, Stafford, Montgomery County, Harris County, West Oaks, Memorial, Sugar
Land, River Oaks, Alief, Stafford, Missouri City, and Southwest Houston Texas.