Living Wills

In some accident cases, victims are injured in such a way that they are unable to make their own long-term medical decisions. In this event, family members may not know what the injured victim may have wanted in these circumstances. For this reason, it is important to have a living will that explains your own health care decisions in case there is ever a time that you are not able to communicate them.

A living will outlines a person’s wishes about medical treatments that sustain or prolong life while the victim is in an unresponsive condition, such as a coma. If a person is in this type of condition, doctors will refer to his or her living will to determine whether or not the victim wishes to stay on life support or to be removed from it. This legal document prevents your family from having to make the difficult decision for you, and prevents arguments and alienation among family members, each of whom may have different ideas about which actions to take.

A living will is created in much the same way as a traditional will: the document is drawn up, signed, and witnessed, often with the help of a living wills attorney. It clearly dictates the actions that should be taken to preserve your life in the event of a particular type of accident or illness.

Other terms for living wills are advance directive, health care directive, and physician’s directive, but each serve the same purpose of informing health care professionals of your wishes concerning long-term life-sustaining care. A living will is important because it lets your family understand your decisions and wishes in the event that you are unable to communicate them yourself.

Contact Us

To learn more about living wills and other end-of-life legal issues, contact the Houston living will lawyers of Garg & Associates, P.C. by calling 281-362-2865.

firm info  |  practice areas  |  articles  |  faqs  |  blog  |  contact us  |  Site Map  |  resources  |   Find us on Google+   |   Log in

Garg & Associates, PC | 21 Waterway Avenue, Suite 300 | The Woodlands, Texas 77380 Please call 281-362-2865 | Fax: 866-743-4506
Serving The Woodlands, Spring, Houston, Conroe, Kingwood, Tomball, Cypress, Huntsville, Cleveland, Stafford, Montgomery County, Harris County, West Oaks, Memorial, Sugar
Land, River Oaks, Alief, Stafford, Missouri City, and Southwest Houston Texas.