Movables and Immovables

Complications can arise in estate planning if a person’s properties are spread out across different states or countries. In these situations, several factors may be used to determine how to divide that property according to differing state or national laws. Some cases may use the national or state laws applying to the home of the writer of the will, or testator. With other types of property, the state or country in which the property is located governs the use of law. These properties are known as either immovables or movables.

For dedicated legal help with planning the future of your estate, contact the Houston wills and trusts lawyers of Garg & Associates, P.C., at 281-362-2865.

What Law Applies?

Depending on the law used to divide a property, there may be certain standards in place to benefit the surviving children or spouse of the creator of the will. According to some national or state laws, a testator may be required by law to provide a certain amount of property to survivors, protecting spouses or children from being excluded from a will altogether. Determining what law applies largely depends on the following property definitions:

  • Immovable property: includes real estate and any property built on that land
  • Movable intangible property: includes forms of intellectual property
  • Movable tangible property: includes physical pieces of personal property

In many cases, immovable property follows the succession laws – or the laws used to determine how property is divided after death – of its location. Movable property, on the other hand, tends to follow the laws of the home state or country of the testator.

Contact Us

For widely spread estates, differences in law can complicate property distribution. To learn more about your options while working through an estate plan, contact the Houston wills and trusts attorneys of Garg & Associates, P.C., by calling 281-362-2865.

firm info  |  practice areas  |  articles  |  faqs  |  blog  |  contact us  |  Site Map  |  resources  |   Find us on Google+   |   Log in

Garg & Associates, PC | 21 Waterway Avenue, Suite 300 | The Woodlands, Texas 77380 Please call 281-362-2865 | Fax: 866-743-4506
Serving The Woodlands, Spring, Houston, Conroe, Kingwood, Tomball, Cypress, Huntsville, Cleveland, Stafford, Montgomery County, Harris County, West Oaks, Memorial, Sugar
Land, River Oaks, Alief, Stafford, Missouri City, and Southwest Houston Texas.