Trusts for Animals

Pet owners may recognize that their beloved animals may, under certain circumstances, actually outlive them. As a result, probate law in most states provides for a special trust to be established, offering an appropriate amount of care for that creature. These trusts are often simply known as pet trusts, and require a trustee to execute the sections of a testament that affect the pet, or beneficiary in these trusts.

To learn more about how you can ensure that your pets are properly cared for if you should predecease them, contact the Houston wills and trusts lawyers of Garg & Associates, P.C., today at 281-362-2865.

How Do Pet Trusts Work?

A pet trust is considered a specific legally-binding type of trust. Unlike honorary trusts, which can offer property to be set aside following an owner’s death for use by the pet, pet trusts are widely recognized and can be used to keep animals healthy and happy after their owner’s passing. The following are some of the major points of interest in forming a pet trust:

  • Traditional pet trusts set a sum for pet care
  • Traditional pet trusts often require explicit care instructions
  • Statutory pet trusts, less recognized, also set a fixed sum of money for care
  • Statutory pet trusts allow for the state to set standards of care
  • Trusts may be made effective before or after death

These trusts can be tailored according to an owner’s wishes or the expectations of a trustee. It is important that these trusts be well-thought out and reasonable, as the court may modify sums for future support that seem excessive, especially if notably higher than legacies left for humans.

Contact Us

For more information regarding probate law and your options when formulating a plan from the future, contact the Houston wills and trusts attorneys of Garg & Associates, P.C., by calling 281-362-2865.

firm info  |  practice areas  |  articles  |  faqs  |  blog  |  contact us  |  Site Map  |  resources  |   Find us on Google+   |   Log in

Garg & Associates, PC | 21 Waterway Avenue, Suite 300 | The Woodlands, Texas 77380 Please call 281-362-2865 | Fax: 866-743-4506
Serving The Woodlands, Spring, Houston, Conroe, Kingwood, Tomball, Cypress, Huntsville, Cleveland, Stafford, Montgomery County, Harris County, West Oaks, Memorial, Sugar
Land, River Oaks, Alief, Stafford, Missouri City, and Southwest Houston Texas.