Updating Your Will

Having a will or trust drafted is an important first step in providing for your loved ones upon your demise. However, as time passes, parts of these documents may become outdated or may no longer reflect your true wishes. Therefore, it is just as imperative to have your will or trust updated.

If you need help with creating or updating a will or trust, we can help you with formulating a powerful legal document to carry out your wishes. To discuss your case, contact a Houston wills and trust attorney from Garg & Associates, P.C., today at 281-362-2865.

When to Update

Imagine, for instance, if your will named a guardian for your children should you and any other current guardian pass away unexpectedly. However, years after this original will was created, perhaps the potential guardian you named suffered a major life change that made him or her unable to care for your children. In cases such as this, your children would be just as vulnerable and alone as if the will did not exist.

Thus, it is a good idea to update your will or trust following any major life changes. Some examples may include:

  • Your family moves to another state
  • The value of your assets increases or decreases significantly
  • Any changes to your family occur, including a marriage, divorce, birth, or death
  • You plan to make a major career change, such as retiring or taking a job with a different salary range

It is also advisable that you review your will or trust with your attorney on a regular basis. Laws affecting your documents may change, which could necessitate an update to your will or trust, or your wishes for how your assets and property are to be handled may shift over time.

Contact Us

Keeping your legal documents updated is of utmost importance, but modifying a will or trust can be very complicated. Call 281-362-2865 today to speak with one of the Houston wills and trusts lawyers of Garg & Associates, P.C., about your options.

firm info  |  practice areas  |  articles  |  faqs  |  blog  |  contact us  |  Site Map  |  resources  |   Find us on Google+   |   Log in

Garg & Associates, PC | 21 Waterway Avenue, Suite 300 | The Woodlands, Texas 77380 Please call 281-362-2865 | Fax: 866-743-4506
Serving The Woodlands, Spring, Houston, Conroe, Kingwood, Tomball, Cypress, Huntsville, Cleveland, Stafford, Montgomery County, Harris County, West Oaks, Memorial, Sugar
Land, River Oaks, Alief, Stafford, Missouri City, and Southwest Houston Texas.