When Are Guardianships Useful?

A person may pursue an order for guardianship over another individual in several different circumstances. These orders provide a guardian with the power to make important decisions regarding another person’s life. These decisions can include matters that involve medical, legal, and financial concerns.

Guardianship orders can be very useful for those who cannot take care of themselves and need protective help from others. For more information regarding your legal options if you are taking care of a minor or incapacitated loved one, contact the Houston estate planning lawyers of Garg & Associates, P.C., at 281-362-2865 today.

Who Benefits from a Guardianship?

These orders are generally considered different legal devices than when a person is awarded control over another individual’s estate. Guardianships provide the legal ability to make decisions based on a person, not their estate. The following individuals can benefit from becoming a ward under a guardianship order:

  • Minors
  • People with psychotic mental disabilities
  • Senior citizens with Alzheimer’s or dementia
  • Comatose individuals
  • Those under suicide watches

However, there are considerably different systems used for people who suffer from developmental disabilities. These individuals may still retain many of their personal rights to make certain decisions and are generally not able to become wards unless additional circumstances lead to their incapacitation.

Contact Us

When a person no longer has control over his or her own life, a family can face some very difficult questions. If you are facing a situation in which someone may benefit from a guardianship order, contact the Houston estate planning attorneys of Garg & Associates, P.C., by calling 281-362-2865 today.

firm info  |  practice areas  |  articles  |  faqs  |  blog  |  contact us  |  Site Map  |  resources  |   Find us on Google+   |   Log in

Garg & Associates, PC | 21 Waterway Avenue, Suite 300 | The Woodlands, Texas 77380 Please call 281-362-2865 | Fax: 866-743-4506
Serving The Woodlands, Spring, Houston, Conroe, Kingwood, Tomball, Cypress, Huntsville, Cleveland, Stafford, Montgomery County, Harris County, West Oaks, Memorial, Sugar
Land, River Oaks, Alief, Stafford, Missouri City, and Southwest Houston Texas.