Domestic Partnerships May Not Have Right to Estate Without Will

Posted on April 6th, 2011 No Comments

Among young people today, getting married is not always a given. Many people of younger generations no longer regard getting married as an inevitable part of life, and many couples are now in long-term relationships without marriage. If this is the case, the only way a person can receive their partner’s assets in the event of his or her death, is to put it in writing.

Spouses have certain legal rights to their deceased husband or wife’s estates, even without a written will. However, people who are in committed relationships but are not married essentially have no legal rights to┬átheir partner’s┬áproperty in the event of a death, unless a will has been created.

If you or someone you love would like to create a will, please contact the Houston wills lawyers of Garg & Associates, P.C., at 281-362-2865.

Leave a Reply

firm info  |  practice areas  |  articles  |  faqs  |  blog  |  contact us  |  Site Map  |  resources  |   Find us on Google+   |   Log in

Garg & Associates, PC | 21 Waterway Avenue, Suite 300 | The Woodlands, Texas 77380 Please call 281-362-2865 | Fax: 866-743-4506
Serving The Woodlands, Spring, Houston, Conroe, Kingwood, Tomball, Cypress, Huntsville, Cleveland, Stafford, Montgomery County, Harris County, West Oaks, Memorial, Sugar
Land, River Oaks, Alief, Stafford, Missouri City, and Southwest Houston Texas.