Does a Post-nup Need to be Recorded to be Enforceable?

To be enforceable, a post-nup needs to be in writing and signed by the parties with a full disclosure of all assets. The post-nup does not need to be filed with a court or clerk to be valid and enforceable. However, when real property is involved, it is probably a good idea to file the document in the deed records of the county in which the real property is located in order to give bona fide purchasers and creditor notice of the characteristic of the property.

We invite you to contact us for a consultation. Call Garg & Associates, PC at 281-362-2865 or complete our contact form.

firm info  |  practice areas  |  articles  |  faqs  |  blog  |  contact us  |  Site Map  |  resources  |   Find us on Google+   |   Log in

Garg & Associates, PC | 21 Waterway Avenue, Suite 300 | The Woodlands, Texas 77380 Please call 281-362-2865 | Fax: 866-743-4506
Serving The Woodlands, Spring, Houston, Conroe, Kingwood, Tomball, Cypress, Huntsville, Cleveland, Stafford, Montgomery County, Harris County, West Oaks, Memorial, Sugar
Land, River Oaks, Alief, Stafford, Missouri City, and Southwest Houston Texas.